- Students are able to obtain a driver’s permit at the age of 16. For information on how to obtain a permit for your student, please visit: www.mass.gov/rmv.
- The Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) awards Junior Operator Licenses to drivers between the ages of 16 ½ and 18.
- Students must be at least 15 years and 9 months at the start of classroom training.
- To obtain a Junior Operator License, teens have to graduate from a state-approved driver’s education school with:
- 30 hours of Classroom Training.
- 12 hours of Driving with a Driver’s Ed instructor.
- 6 hours of Observation with a Driver’s Ed instructor.
- 40 hours of documented driving time with a parent.
- Per a new Massachusetts state mandate beginning on May 1st, 2019, parents/guardians must attend the required two (2) hour parent class before their student begins any driving lessons with our certified instructors. Parent classes are offered at least once per classroom training session. Notice of these meetings is embedded in the classroom paperwork.
Upcoming Classroom Training
Class sessions are typically held four times a year (Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring). If you’re interested in being notified when the next session will take place, please add yourself to the Driver’s Ed Interest List. Once you’re on the list, you will receive an email confirmation. Signing up on the interest list does not confirm your student driver’s enrollment in the course, but notifies you of the upcoming class.
More detailed information is outlined on the Driver’s Ed FAQ Page.