Registration for the spring session opens on Wednesday, January 3 at 3:30pm. Registration is ONLINE ONLY and class will fill up quickly.
Class will meet Mondays and Tuesdays at 6-8pm from March 4-April 29, with the exception of school vacation week in April (April 15-19). Please make sure the student can attend each class prior to signing up. Attendance at each class is a state requirement.
There will be a two-hour mandatory parent class on a date/time to be determined.
- Students can obtain a driver’s permit at the age of 16. For information on how to obtain a permit for your student, please visit www.mass.gov/rmv.
- The Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) awards Junior Operator Licenses to drivers between the ages of 16 ½ and 18.
- Students must be at least 15 years and 9 months at the start of classroom training.
- To obtain a Junior Operator License, teens have to graduate from a state-approved driver’s education school with:
- 30 hours of classroom training
- 12 hours of driving with a driver’s ed instructor
- 6 hours of observation with a driver’s ed instructor
- 40 hours of documented driving time with a parent
- Per a Massachusetts state mandate beginning on May 1st, 2019, parents/guardians must attend the required two (2) hour parent class before their student begins any driving lessons with our certified instructors. Parent classes are offered at least once per classroom training session. Notice of these meetings is embedded in the classroom paperwork.
More detailed information is outlined on the Driver’s Ed FAQ Page.
Questions? Contact Denise Nesselrodt, our Driver’s Education Coordinator, at email@example.com or 508-228-7285 x1575.
Denise Nesselrodt began as the Driver’s Education Coordinator with the Nantucket Community School in 2022 after working at the RMV on the island for several years. She has a bachelor’s degree in psychology and a master’s degree in counselor education, both from Penn State University. Denise has two sons (whom she taught to drive!) and enjoys gardening, reading, and traveling.