When is the next Driver’s Ed Classroom Training?
Summer 2018 Classroom Training is open for enrollment until the classes have filled (see links below). Driver’s Education is on a first come first served basis. Join the Drivers Ed. – Interest List below if you do not get into this session.
*Adding yourself to the interest list does NOT guarantee your enrollment in the next session but it will put you on our email list. It is important to make sure the email on the account is your primary email address.
Summer 2018 forms (see below)
If your child is 16 with a permit or will turn 16 during this classroom session they may enroll in the Drivers Ed. – Driving Only portion and complete the required behind the wheel/observation hours. Click on the ‘Driver’s Ed. Driving Only’ link and print off the instructor contact information sheet for details on how to schedule your first lesson. You do NOT need to complete the classroom portion prior to beginning the driving hours.
Spring 2018 forms (see below)
Not old enough for this session? Sign up for our interest list to receive an email notification when the next classes open!
For teen drivers under age 16 please refer to the free resources at www.DMV-Permit-Test.com : a free online service that will help you prepare for the driver knowledge test and become a safe driver.
Here is the link to the Massachusetts practice tests: http://dmv-permit-test.com/massachusetts/practice-test-1.html
Please read the information and FAQs outlined below:
Further Questions? please call or email Blair Jannelle: 508.228.7285 x1576 or email@example.com
- The Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) awards Junior Operator Licenses to drivers between the ages of 16 ½ and 18.
- To obtain a Junior Operator License, teens have to graduate from a state-approved driver’s education school with:
- 12 hours of Driving with a Driver’s Ed instructor.
- 6 hours of Observation with a Driver’s Ed instructor.
- 40 hours of documented driving time with a parent.
- 30 hours of Classroom Training.
- Students must be at least 15 years and 9 months at the start of classroom training.
- There is a mandatory 2 hour class for parents. Several parent classes are held throughout the year. Notice of these meetings is sent out via email, click the link for the next parent meeting: Parent Meeting flyer -Spring 2018
- Students are able to obtain a driver’s permit at the age of 16. For information on how to obtain a permit for your student, please visit: www.mass.gov/rmv.
Frequently Asked Questions
When will registration open up for the next classroom session?
Enrollment for Classroom Training will become available approximately two (2) weeks prior to the start of the next session. (Dates yet to be determined) Notification is sent out via the Nantucket High School email distribution list with attached brochure and registration form. Hard copies of the forms and brochures will also be available in the NHS office. *Please be sure your email is up to date with the High School office.
How do I register?
Once the dates are determined and the class is posted, you may enroll online or in person at Nantucket Community School’s mid-island office at 30 Surfside Road (Nantucket Elementary School – Red Cluster, Room A-6), and at our downtown campus at 56 Centre Street. Hard copies of the registration form and brochure will be available at our Nantucket Community School offices once the class is posted. IMPORTANT NOTE: Registration is not considered complete until the hard copy registration form, signed by both the student and the parent, is submitted to the Nantucket Community School office along with initial payment .
How much does this program cost?
You may sign up for classes separately or purchase our Combination Package! Payment plans may be available.
$250 Classroom Instruction (30 hours)
$650 Driving & Observation (18 hours)
$800 Combination Package (Classroom, Driving & Observation)
Acceptable forms of payment:
- Checks/Money Orders made payable to Nantucket Community School
- Visa and MasterCard
- Cash (exact change, please)
Can my student begin the driving portion of the program before s/he participates in the classroom training?
YES! When your student obtains his/her permit, driving lessons may begin. Please contact the Nantucket Community School to get started. Please contact Blair Jannelle at 508.228.7285 x1576 or firstname.lastname@example.org.